Wednesday 31 March 2010

30 Under 30 Square Mile Talent Awards

A few weeks ago, I had a phonecall from the Square Mile group who publish a glossy lifestyle magazine in the City. Someone had anonymously nominated me for their inaugural Square Mile 30 Under 30 Talent Awards, recognising achievement among young professionals working in the City of London. I was up for the Sport category due to my marathon running and 10 in 10 attempt and had been shortlisted to the final 30. As a result, they invited me to the awards do at the Park Lane Hilton along with a few mates for invaluable drinking support. It was a very very lovely surprise to be nominated and, no matter the result, I was looking forward to a proper posh knees up.

They asked me to submit answers to several questions about my work life in the City and my running life building up to the 10 in 10, and also for 2 references which were gratefully received from Scott at the Brathay Trust and my mentor at the bank where I work and referred to the transferable stuff from my training that I could bring to my job: dedication, motivation, a large bag of sweaty running kit etc. Then it was just a matter of persuading 3 of my top running and drinking buddies, Mark, Dave and Frances, that they wanted to spend a Friday afternoon necking free champagne in smart outfits.

The awards day itself was brilliant, from the first gin & tonic, through guinness, champagne, Johnny Walker blue label whisky, wine, beer and to the last drop of vodka, it was full of fun and laughter and much misbehaviour. My mates were brilliant company and certainly helped me underline that endurance affleets can handle endurance boozing sessions too. And the icing on the cake was winning the 30 under 30 award. It was a fabulous surprise and rounded off a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment