Tuesday 11 May 2010

10 in 10 Day 5 - 4'26

Today was a much better day, I felt pretty wiped out yesterday and today energy levels were much better, something to do with the food intake, a bit extra sleep and being a lot more relaxed about times perhaps. We were treated to dinner at the Three Shires in the Langdales yesterday and I was lucky enough to be on the drinkers' table with Ray, Foxy, Jim and ooh arr Dave. We had a great laugh over a few pints of Coniston Old Man and it was a good opportunity to get to know each other a bit better.

Support today was fantastic, and helped me enjoy my favourite marathon of the 5 to date. I gave my sister a big hug at 10 miles to share a bit of the good feeling I was enjoying, she's getting me through the bad times so deserves to know about the good ones too. It was brilliant to see Mum and Brian my Wicked Stepfather (we wouldn't call him WSF if he weren't anything other than a sterling bloke) too and my dad was there too. He's been an angel and has cooked me a giant curry for this evening, I can't wait for dinner time! The icing on the cake was seeing Allan turn up just after half way. He's driven all the way from the other side of London to support us, just amazing. It's incredibly humbling to have all these people behind you.

The race itself wasn't too bad today, I walked more of the hills but had more energy to keep a steady pace through the gentler uphills, flats and downs. I came in about 50 seconds quicker than yesterday which is very pleasing and am delighted to report there are no serious injuries (yet), other than a bad toenail, a few aches and pains and a few things the miraculous physios are preventing from getting remotely serious, I'm holding up remarkably well.

Half way now and I'm feeling good about the next five. What a course to run them on, I can't wait for everyone else to get here on Sunday and experience it with us.
Before the start on Day 10: Adam (back to the camera), L-R Ray, David Bayley, Dave Wintle, me, Steve Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment