Wednesday 12 May 2010

10 in 10 Day 6 - 4'34

Cue Geordie accent: Day 6 in the Big Brathay House, the sun is shining and the TiTs are hobbling. Well, not quite, we're all holding up surprisingly well, though we were very very sad to see Phil pull out today. After an epic struggle home yesterday with horrible shin splints, he took perhaps the bravest decision to call it a day. And he was man enough to be out on the route cheering us on.

I had a bit of a hysterical patch today and decided mooning was the way to maintain team morale. With apologies to Chris, Allan, Dave A and the cameraman, and the physios and video man, I guess we'll find out if it makes the uncut video footage....... Sorry Mum, consecutive marathons does strange things to your brain.
It was good to get well over the half way point today and the first 14 miles went by pretty quickly, having Allan around to run with and Joe and his mum on bikes occasionally was a top motivator. I'm getting pretty tired now and more and more sore, I can now add my left knee to the list of niggles. The physios are working wonders and Graham even persuaded me to go in the ice bath today (I traded in being let off the ice bath for a large wodge of cake yesterday) so hopefully with lots of attention they won't get too painful. I was wondering out on the course today just how it's possible to run so many miles, I've only been walking the stiffer uphills. I think you have to get to the point where you can run at a very low rate of exertion, and get into a stride rate that almost feels more comfortable than walking. Then don't let yourself walk. For me, it's the thought of being out there for double the time if you start walking that keeps me moving, my running pace has definitely dropped off but at least I'm keeping some heat going and covering the distance a bit quicker.
Things are being set up for Sunday's Windermere marathon now and the atmosphere is building. It's still a long way to go for us TiTs before we get there, but it finally feels like we're going to get to the finish line.

The wonderful physios: L-R Graham Theobald, director of The Body Rehab, Sue, Paul, Roxy, Lucy, Jim (10 in 10 runner), Katie, Nicola, Stevo, Maria)

No comments:

Post a Comment